How do you learn Tai Chi ?
Tai Chi Chuan takes patience, hard work and commitment to get any of the benefits that its famous for. So as not to waste our time and sigh with regret, there are set ways to practice and teach TC that help speed this learning process up without having to sell your soul or empty your wallet.
These methods are detailed or discussed in the classics and have been explained and demonstrated along with other things to me by my teacher over the years.
I’ve detailed these methods as a list to aid the memory of my students and to support the practical and intellectual points made in my classes.
How to learn
1. Silently imitate, memorize and study
2. Learn, practice then master
3. Not too much, not too little
4. Fine work neatly done
To prevent errors
1. Not having Bumps or hollows
2. Not being exaggerated or lacking
3. Not being cut off or extended
4. Nothing is deficient or defective
The 10 criteria to improve form by having the correct,
3. Distinguishing Yin/Yang
4. Smooth transition of the waist
5. Coordinated and connected movement
6. Balanced turning and stepping
The 5 step path to improve Tui Shou/San Shou.
1. Staying in contact
2. Continuous attack and defence
3. Softness at the right time and place
5. Not resisting or using brute force